Saturday, January 8, 2011

Zophar and Job January 8

This is an interesting exchange. (Job 11:1 -14:22)

Zophar tells Job: (Chapter 11)

I do not believe you, I wish God would speak wisdom which has two sides v 1-5
God has forgotten some of your sin v 6
God cannot be understood v7-12
If you change your ways...things will get better...not much hope for the wicked v 13-20

Job replies with some growing sarcasm: (Chapter 13)

If only you would be altogether silent!  For you, that would be wisdom. v 5
Though He slay me, yet will I hope in him v 15a

Job asks God:  (Chapter 13)

Withdraw your hand far from me, and stop frightening me with your terrors v 21

Job discusses man's frailness: (Chapter 14)

Job wonders about renewal:  (Chapter 14)

If a man dies, will he live again?  All the days of my hard service I will wait for my renewal to come.  You will call and I will answer you; you will long for the creature your hands have made. Surely then you will count my steps but not keep track of my sin.  My offenses will be sealed up in a bag; you will cover over my sin.                                                                                                                      v 14-17

Think about the wisdom of Job.  He did not know of God's plan of salvation.  He was not sealed with the Holy Spirit.  Yet he did put into words; the "renewal" (perhaps Jesus death and shed blood) to remove us from our sin, and the "will answer the call" (an ability from the sealing by the Holy Spirit.)

Job clings to the LORD.  Can we look to God's work, Jesus' gift and the Holy Spirt's sealing to answer the call and to cling to the truth on a moment by moment basis, 24/7?

How many of us have had friends that we just wished were silent?  How many times have you thanked the Holy Spirt for the wisdom of keeping silent and for the wisdom of the words to say?

We can give thanks for what God has done through His Son.  He has paid the price for our sin, a price we could not pay by or for ourselves to redeem ourselves from our sin. 

In Christ


David P

No comments:

Post a Comment