Monday, January 31, 2011

The Prayer of Jabez

In 2000, Bruce Wilkinson wrote the book "The Prayer of Jabez." I need to state right now I've never read the book. As such, feel free to ignore or disregard anything I say from this point on--that, as always, is your prerogative.

The only mention of Jabez in the Bible is found in 1 Chronicles 4:9-10. Jabez's prayer is in verse 10, where he states "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." I have no problem with Jabez--since all Scripture is is God-breathed and worthy for teaching (you'll read that on December 21st), I'll take it for what it's worth. My problem lies with Rev. Wilkinson.

In December 2005, an article appeared in the Wall Street Journal regarding Rev. Wilkinson's attempts to establish an orphanage in Africa. Despite all attempts (and I know what I'm doing), I am unable to provide a link to that article (due mostly to WSJ's outstanding ability to compel people to PAY for their site--I can't even access this article through academic database searches--smart people...), so you'll have to make due with my synopsis. 

The article described Rev.Wilkinson's attempts to establish an orphanage in Swaziland, and how he tried to do it without the aid of the Swaziland government, competent NGOs (non-government organizations, usually well-established charities) or other people with knowledge of how to accomplish things in Africa (empirical evidence would suggest that this is an EXTREMELY SHORT list). I can at least copy and paste the abstract from the article:

The article focuses on Georgia preacher Bruce Wilkinson, who in 2002 announced his intention to save one million children left orphaned by the AIDS epidemic. In October 2005, Wilkinson resigned from the African charity he founded, abandoning his plan to house 10,000 children in a combined orphanage, bed-and-breakfast, game reserve and bible college in the kingdom of Swaziland. Wilkinson won followers in Swaziland, but left them bereft and confused. He alienated Swazi officials with his demands. The setback stunned Wilkinson, who had believed that God would enable him to achieve the impossible.
The part I really wish I could copy and paste as evidence is where Rev. Wilkinson is quoted (and I paraphrase) as stating "I don't understand it--I'VE NEVER PRAYED SO HARD FOR SOMETHING IN MY LIFE" (emphasis obviously added). I was extremely confused by that statement. I've prayed for many things, and I've lost track of the prayers that weren't answered and yet the results were better than I had expected. So I sent Rev. Wilkinson an email, (the second thing I wish I could copy and paste, but that was three computers ago...), in which I asked him a very simple question. I asked "Is it possible your prayer was answered, and the answer was 'No'?" He was kind enough to answer, and his answer was (again, paraphrased) "No. God will give us what we ask in his name."

I have eleven months left to address this theme, and it will come up again (for example, October 6th), but I want to make clear my main problem with the whole Prayer of Jabez line of thought--it assumes that our prayers are the catalyst, the start to a solution, when prayer is generally the answer. If you don't understand me, consider Luther's meaning of the third petition of the Lord's Prayer:

The Third Petition.
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
What does this mean?
The good and gracious will of God is done indeed without our prayer; but we pray in this petition that it may be done among us also.

God's will WILL be done--make NO mistake on that. If God wills us to be rich and enlarge our territory, so be it. If not, what are we to do--tell God he got it wrong? I'll finish where I started--I have no problem with Jabez's prayer, but will in no way adopt it as carte blanche to demand that God give me what I want--prayer will give me what I NEED, which will take many forms, such as:
What I want--yes, it happens (ask me when in my life)
Closure--the nudge to let something go
Discernment--the answer you've been looking for (and it might be no)
NO--wrong place, wrong time, wrong whatever...
Not now--be patient

Apologies in advance for the wordiness, and as a test, I'd LOVE to see your comments. Feel free to be anonymous.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment