Thursday, January 6, 2011

With Friends Like These... (Part I)

I cheated and did a little research to verify that I was correct, because I didn't want to portray anyone in an incorrect light or lead anyone astray. What does Eliphaz say or do to comfort Job in his time of need? 2:11 tells us that Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar gathered to comfort and sympathize with Job, but it is written in 4:8 where Eliphaz says to Job, "...those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it." What I needed to look up was to see if this was offered as a proverb or a condemnation, and it appears to be the latter. Thanks a lot, Eliphaz, I hope you come visit me when I need help so you can ask me what I did in order to cause it to happen.

Job certainly comes back strong in 6:14-30, which leads me to my basic point. When our friends are hurting and in pain, do we provide assistance or judgment? Are we there with solace or an inquisition? It's a pattern we'll see over and over as we travel through Job, but the basic point will remain, which, although I can't be sure at this point, I can safely assume this will be merely Part I of my "With Friends Like These..." thread.

The world is filled with people who can point out problems, almost as many that can develop solutions, and precious few that actually follow through and solve them. I won't speak for others, but I rarely offer solutions that I'm not willing to be part of--too bad I came along too late to share this bit of wisdom with Eliphaz.
Scott

1 comment:

  1. On Friday at 14:00 there had been no posting of the second week's readings yet. Gonna happen in time so I can read early Saturday morning?

    ReplyDelete