Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Two Songs You've Never Heard Of

For the past 30 years or so, I've been convinced that the greatest song in rock history is the Talking Heads "Once In A Lifetime," off their "Remain in Light" release of 1980. I remember where I was the first time I heard the song, I remember where I was the first time I saw the music video, I remember the first time I saw the LIVE music video (from the outstanding concert movie "Stop Making Sense"). Even today, in the age of music on our computers and iPods available at our beck and call, I still get chills when I hear it. It's an amazing song.

And then, about 3 years ago, I heard a song by Coldplay called "Viva la Vida," which made me seriously reconsider my ordering of greatest songs. The lyrics go like this:
I used to rule the world/Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone/Sweep the streets I used to own
I used to roll the dice/Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing/"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
One minute I held the key/Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand/Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

Contrast those lyrics with Job's speech of chapter 29. Job lists what his life had been like, not with sadness, regret or anger at the loss, but merely a restatement of what his life had been. The Coldplay song is sung the same way--lead singer Chris Martin (aka Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow) betrays no bitterness or dismay in his singing, just a remembrance of what his life had been. There's a simple elegance to Job's words, words I would strongly urge you to read whenever you feel besieged by the world, and I hope, with the Lord's help, you can maintain the same quiet dignity Job did during his ordeals.
Scott
"Once In A Lifetime" on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
"Viva la Vida" on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TNK-TvIcI&ob=av3nm

No comments:

Post a Comment