Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Interlude (Part I)

I know I stated that I would go through this year and not use my Study Bible to glean out information, and generally speaking, this is still my goal, but from time to time there will be insights and information that it will present me that I hadn't previously considered. I'm not so narrow as to define how the Holy Spirit will speak to me when all I need to know is THAT he will, and I just need to keep my mind open to the manner. As such, I've decided to dedicate about an hour each week from around 7:50-8:50 pm on Monday evenings to go through the week's readings in my Study Bible and see anything I might have missed.

And what I missed for this first one is HUGE, one I simply can't believe I overlooked. Job makes a simple statement in 19:25 that is the basis for one of my favorite Easter hymns. I never cease to be amazed when we sing this hymn (#200 in the red hymnal, #264 in the blue, #461 in the current one) and I note the Biblical reference--this man, who lived thousands of years before the birth of Christ, before we're even 100% sure that the promise of redemption through Christ has even been made (if we're looking chronologically, we haven't even reached the covenant with Abraham yet), and yet he states this simple statement with certainty and confidence that it will occur.

What sentence, you ask? He states "I ____ that my Redeemer lives...", and how does he fill in that blank?
"I'm PRETTY SURE that my Redeemer lives"?
"I'm REASONABLY CERTAIN that my Redeemer lives"?
"I'm 94.2% SURE WITH A CONFIDENCE INTERVAL OF +/- 3.8% AT THE 95% CONFIDENCE LEVEL that my Redeemer lives"?

No, and you already know the answer, which is, quite simply:
"I KNOW that my Redeemer lives", and you know it too. 
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment