Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Priesthood Continues (Feb 18)

Then Jesus said, " All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18- 20- NIV

"If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, I will..." Leviticus 26:3-...

Jesus and God both command us to obey which means to: Comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes or instructions; (of things) to respond comfortably in action; to submit or conform in action to; or to be obedient.

God has given instructions on worship to the Isralites and we have a young priesthood who does not follow the commands: Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu took their censors, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, contrary to his command." Leviticus 10:1-NIV

God responds to this "creativity" in worship: "So fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. Moses then said to Aaron,'This is what the Lord spoke of when he said:
Amomg those who approach me
I will show myself holy
in the sight of all the people
I will be honored.'

Aaron remained silent."


Jsut ponder Aaron's situation. As the High priest, he could not mourn for anyone. I am certain, however he was mourning inwardly the loss of two sons. He held his role as servant of the Lord higher than his role as parent. I have heard it said, "More of Thee and less of me." Aaron shows us an example of putting his service to God first. God takes worship of him very seriously. We are to obey and serve. Nothing, not even sacrifice, substitutes for obedience. When we sin, something dies, our faith, given by the Spirit allows us to claim Christ's death as a substitution for our own death.

Think of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5 when they lied to the church about what they did with the proceeds of the sale of their property. What they did with the proceeds was not a problem. Lying about their actions was and what was the result, death.

Less of me and more of Thee.

Thoughts:

Have you added anything to God's perfect, whole, complete plan for salvation?

How do you show appreciation and reverence for what God has done for you?


Pray for the Pastors as they prepare for worship and pray for your heart to be prepared to hear the Word and adapt the Word as the Spirit directs you in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment