Thursday, February 3, 2011

Our Abilities

At the end of chapter 6, Moses again mentions that he is a man of "faltering lips" (he also said it at the Burning Bush). Clearly, we're looking at a man who hasn't had the insights and proof he will get in abundance that with God, all things are possible.

But we're not like that, are we? Whenever we're presented with a task or challenge, we step right up and volunteer, knowing that God will give us the things we need to meet the challenge--right? No doubts, no fear, no worries, just a gung-ho attitude yelling out at the top of our lungs "Here am I, send me, SEND ME!" Gentle reader, I am accurately describing you, am I not?

We all have doubts, fears and a general disinclination to change. I've spent the better part of my life separating tasks into two categories:
Easy--anything I can do
Hard--anything I can't do
I like to think that I have an open mind still able to learn new things, but all of us are naturally leery when we're presented with an opportunity so far outside of our experiences or knowledge base. 

In "The Purpose Driven Life," Rick Warren suggests that we can tell if we're leaders if we have followers--if no one's following, for whatever reason (wrong time, wrong place, wrong opportunity, wrong whatever), we can't assume we're leading. We can also assume that for some reason, it wasn't in God's plan for us to lead. Conversely, if God decides we ARE to be leaders, there won't be anything we can do to thwart that plan. We might gum up the works a bit, but God's will WILL be done. This was the strength of Moses--he knew his shortcomings, brought them up to God, yet still was willing to do what God commanded him. May we have the same faith and strength as Moses.

No comments:

Post a Comment