Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Eternal Light

Two verses into today's reading and I had all the inspiration I needed. Leviticus 24:2 tells the Israelites to light lamps that are to be kept burning continuously. I'll start with a picture:

If I've published this picture previously, it's your lucky day--you get to see it again. I took this a couple of months ago, and it's a stitched panorama of six pictures. I got the inspiration from our Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, and next year, I'm going to go up to the balcony and shoot it with the candles lit in the congregation.

I want to focus on the light at the middle left. The rest of these lights come and go--we see the trees and Advent candles about 6 weeks a year, the candles are lit during service, but the lonely candle on the left is always lit, as you all well know. In fact, I notice when it's not lit, because I find my eyes naturally turn toward it. 

Prior to moving to Davenport in 1968, my family lived in Sacramento, CA, which obviously makes my memories of living there quite fuzzy (I was just short of six when we moved), but I clearly remember our church there. It was one with side seating as well as middle seating, and for whatever reason, I was in there one time when I was around four and noticed the eternal candle. I was with my mom, who told me that the Holy Spirit was represented by that candle.  I had no idea what she was talking about at that time, but the image has stuck with me ever since.

There are times when we all wonder if God has checked out and decided to leave us humans to fend for ourselves. There is a sense of unrest both in our country and internationally that is reaching levels we haven't seen for some time, and it's natural to be concerned. Then as now, that lamp/candle is our everyday reminder that God is ALWAYS with us. The very last words that Christ said to his disciples (November 10th) were his promise that he would always be with us, and that promise hasn't changed in 2,000 years, nor will it. Whenever you're not sure, look at that eternal candle and be reminded. As luck would have it, on December 25th we'll read that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever, which should be all the comfort we'll ever need.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment