Monday, February 21, 2011

Laws, Punishments and Priestly Rules (Feb 22)

"Be holy Because I, the Lord your God, am holy."                                      Leviticus 19:2b-NIV

Where are we without God's direction and guidance?

"Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done."
                                    Romans 1:28-NIV

Here, God gives us some sage guidance; avoid idols, don't lie, do not defraud, do not pervert justice, do not hate your brother in your heart, do not seek revenge, do not steal, observe Sabbath, stand for the aged, use honest scales.  Why?  Because God states, "I am the Lord your God."

With the Lord in our life we are comforted, filled, and have God with us.

"And surely I am with you always, to the end of the age."
                                   Matthew 28:20b-NIV

With God, we are as above. Without God, some of the following lyrics of Neil Diamond's song "I am, I said" come to mind:

         - "I am I said
         - No one heard at all not even the chair
         - And I am lost and I can't even say why
         - I got an emptiness deep inside
         - I've tried but it won't let me go."

Additionally, when we accept Christ, the following lyrics come to mind:

          "Did you read about the frog who dreamed of being
                   king...and then became one?"

Not that we become a king, but the King of Kings and Lord of Lords can then transform us and use us!

God does hate sin.  He describes actions that, with only law and no grace, demand death in Leviticus chapter 20.

Molech is mentioned; My Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary tells many things about this foreign god.  The word itself is a transliteration of the Hebrew word for king and adds that it may be a sacrifice to confirm or fufill a vow. The description goes on to describe a Molech as the name of a diety to whom human sacrifices were made.  In times of apostacy;  total desertion of or departure from one's religion, principles, cause, or party (from Webster); Israelites apparently made their children "go through the fire to Molech."  Molech is described as a hollow human statue with the head of an ox.  Children were placed in the statue, a fire was lit underneath, drums were pounded on to drown out the children's cries.

We continue reading rules for priests.  God describes why: He is holy and He makes us holy.

Thoughts:

Where does your faith rest? 

On Christ the solid rock? 

If not, what will you do about that? 

Talk with a pastor...Soon!

When I came to you brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  For I resolved to know nothing while  I was with you execpt Jesus Christ and him crucified.  I came to you in weakness and fear and with much trembling.  My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."
                           1 Corinthians 2:1-5-NIV


Pray for the pastors and their families that they may have in their lives the fruits of the Spirit in abundance: peace, gentleness, self control, unity, love, and joy.


In Christ


David P

No comments:

Post a Comment