Thursday, May 26, 2011

Proverbs

If you're new to the reading of Proverbs, I think you'll enjoy them very much. Most are written in a very simple style:
1. What to do
2. How you will benefit
3. What will happen if you don't

Dr. Pratt wrote extensively on Proverbs 1:7, one of my all-time favorite Bible verses, so I won't repeat him here. I will add that my emphasis is on a different word in that verse, and that word is "beginning." Knowledge and wisdom (and I will use them interchangeably in this post, even though I know there are differences) are devalued in a society that considers Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert news sources and a celebrity's Twitter feed as hard-hitting news, and the Lord is clearly telling us that we should base our knowledge on the Word, and have it serve as our foundation, but it's not the only thing we'll ever need.

When we view everything we know through the lens of God's word, it gives meaning and discernment to the world. I would never tell the people of Joplin that God's word is all they need to rebuild their lives and their town--that's not just stupid, but downright cold-hearted. Our knowledge of God's word tells us that we should reach out compassionately and generously to assist those in need, and to use our skills to accomplish that. When we look at God's word as the beginning, it lays out a clear path for us to travel and the way to travel it. 

We need knowledge to get by in this world, which has always been the case. I would recommend Dr. Pratt for gastroenterological issues because he is an experienced, highly trained, board-certified gastroenterologist AND a Christian, but I'll worry about the Christian part after I've satisfied myself on the gastroenterology part. Dr. Pratt's fear of the Lord no doubt has an influence on how he practices medicine--a foundational part, to be sure, but not the only part. I'm a Christian too, but you don't want me performing colonoscopies (at least not on you).

In the end, it's our duty to get our knowledge and wisdom from solid sources, discern when and where to utilize it, and base everything on God's will. We might not end us as wise as Solomon, but we'll definitely be wiser than before.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment