Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Everything Comes From You"

I will discuss this in great length both next Sunday and other times, so this is a heads-up to the four readers. The title comes from 1 Chronicles 29:14, which states:

“But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand."

Couple this with the letter the pastors sent this week and you'll get an excellent preview of the direction of my remarks on Sunday. If we acknowledge that everything is the Lord's and came from him, is it possible to give too much? 

In life, the answers aren't hard to determine, but implementing the answers is. We know what David said is true, but how do we translate those words into our lives and make it an integral part? The best way is in small, consistent steps. Consider the following example-what if I want to increase offerings at Trinity by $100,000 a year (actually, I'd like more, but this will illustrate my point nicely)? 

I could ask the congregation for $100,000 and see what happens. I don't want to sell anyone short, but I don't think we have any individuals who can increase their contributions by $100,000 a year consistently (keep in mind, I want this year to year, not just as a one-time gift), or even $10,000 or $5,000 a year. I'd be setting myself up for failure.

Or I could recognize that we have 500 giving units and ask them for $200 a year. I might get that, I might not, but I'd get some response, but I suspect it would be less than $100,000. Many people would tell me they couldn't give $200 at once, and who am I to argue?

Or I could ask for $5 a week more from the 500 giving units, which would be $2500 a week, or around $130,000 a year. I won't  speak for others, but I'd be hard-pressed to notice $5 a week. I will never ask someone for what they don't have, but all I'm trying to show is how small steps made by many people can turn into large results. David had large amounts of gold and silver that he gave to the temple, yet the people outgave David. There's always more with the masses than the few.

I'll save my concluding remarks until Sunday, but never underestimate the effects that small steps taken by many people can accomplish. Pray on it and see how you can become one of those small steps.
Scott
 

No comments:

Post a Comment