Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Horns of the Altar

If you haven't figured it out by now, I tend toward the obscure and little-noticed in my posts, simply because I prefer to not explain the plainly obvious to people who know it as well (and probably better) than I do. Instead, I try to add information and explanation to those items that might confuse or are just unknown, which is why I'm writing about Joab grabbing the horns of the altar as described in today's reading.

As Solomon begins his reign, he does what every ruler in history does--consolidate power and dispatch enemies. We read how Solomon dealt with Abiathar the priest and Adonijah his older brother, and after he's handled them, he turns his attention to Joab, David's military commander. Winners write history, and losers become not only footnotes in history, but typically PART of it, usually sooner rather than later, and that is Solomon's intent as he sent Benaiah to handle the matter.

In 1 Kings 2:28, we read how Joab grabbed hold of the horns of the alter. Back in Exodus 27:2, we read about the horns, but we're only given the description, not the rationale. My NIV Study Bible suggests the horns were symbols of help and refuge and served as a safe haven for someone seeking justice. This is a parallel concept to the cities of refuge described in Numbers 35:6-8 which acted as a buffer to vigilante justice or rash and hasty reactions before guilt has been established. As such, Joab was seeking asylum as described in Exodus 21:13-14, verses which describe how to adjudicate instances of accidental death.

Unfortunately, Joab wasn't innocent at this time. Amongst David's last words to Solomon as recorded in 1 Kings 2:5-6 were instructions to deal forcefully with Joab, and clearly describes his guilt. So when Joab grabs the horns and asks for mercy, he's not entitled to it, and when he says to Benaiah, "No, I will die here," Solomon makes it so. As always, this may seem harsh, arbitrary and perhaps even unjustified, but consider fully what Joab had done--he had conspired with Adonijah to usurp the kingdom God had promised to Solomon. In other words, he had ON HIS OWN INITIATIVE, attempted to derail God's plans for his people. There is usually no upside to this type of behavior.

I try not to brag about my own work, but I've put the finishing touches on my notes for presenting this Sunday, and I think it's going to be pretty good. Actually, I think it's going to be outstanding, so if you think you won't be in attendance in class, I'm giving you a heads-up to possibly rethink that. I'll be discussing Solomon's Temple, and I hope you'll find it both enlightening and enjoyable, and, as I wrote at the beginning of this entry, I'll try to do it in a manner that expands and augments what we've read this week. I hope to see you there.
Scott

2 comments:

  1. According to Exodus 21:12-14, grasping the horns of the altar was a way of seeking sanctuary or protection when one was charged with a serious offense

    Exodus 21> 12 “Anyone who strikes a person with a fatal blow is to be put to death. 13 However, if it is not done intentionally, but God lets it happen, they are to flee to a place I will designate. 14 But if anyone schemes and kills someone deliberately, that person is to be taken from my altar and put to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Scott. I've just started 1 Kings and find "the grabbing of the horns of the altar" not only confusing, but weird. Such a different culture...

    ReplyDelete