Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Duties of the Ministry

Outstanding reading today, it took me almost 30 seconds to skim the list of unpronounceable names. Oh, how I yearned to be transported back to a thrilling chronology, but I'm sure you already guessed that.

But there's an extremely important message in this list of names. In the modern-day church, we have a tendency to think three things:
1. The pastors will do the work
2. What they can't do, they'll farm out to someone other than me
3. Everything will get done
    a. With no effort on my part
    b. In the way that I want it, or
    c. I'll complain if it's not perfect

The work of the church will not be done without OUR (and I mean each and every one of us) helping out in some capacity. Nowhere did the Lord set a precedent that his chosen were to do everything--Moses had his 70 elders, Joshua was told to select helpers, and even the Levites had their initial duties laid out precisely by clan in Numbers 3 and 4. 

Which leads to a very simple point--EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US has a role to play in our church at Trinity and in God's Church in the world, and it most definitely entails more than showing up for service once a week. We have the privilege of furthering Christ's work, because he didn't just tell the twelve disciples to fulfill the Great Commission, he told ALL disciples, present and future, what our job was, and it's our privilege and duty to continue until he comes back. 

You will hear much from me specifically on how you can help Trinity in the next month or so, and when you hear me ask, fight that initial urge to say "Well, I'm sure someone (else) will take care of that." That's a dangerous assumption to make, and the fact that the little voice is even speaking in your head when I ask could very well be the first hint that the Holy Spirit already has someone in mind...someone you know VERY WELL...
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment