Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Brief Diversion

Pastor Fay began his sermon this morning by reading some journal entries of a member who had occasions to wonder about God. At one point, he asked how many of us had similar doubts at one time or another, and he told us such doubts were natural.

This will be a nice test of blog readership. I will give $50 in the name of the person who can identify who made the following statement to the Kids Against Hunger campaign. I will tell you at the outset this person is not obscure, and all have heard of this person. Shout out your answers in the COMMENT section at the bottom, and the first person (if anyone) who gets it by the time stamp of their post will be the winner. Here's the quote:

I have no faith. I dare not utter the words and thoughts that crowd in my heart and make me suffer untold agony. So many unanswered questions live within me. I am afraid to uncover them, because of the blasphemy. If there be God, please forgive me. Trust that all will end in Heaven with Jesus. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul. Love, the word, it brings nothing. I am told God loves me, yet the reality of darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul. 

When I give the answer, it will be merely to reinforce what Pastor Fay preached this morning. We WILL have doubts, we WILL have questions and we WILL despair from time to time. I think you'll take great solace in knowing that the speaker of these words had the very same thoughts we all did/do.
Scott

1 comment: