Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Signs of the End

Daniel 12:8-9 states:

8 I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My lord, what will the outcome of all this be?” 9 He replied, “Go your way, Daniel, because the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end. 

These are my go-to verses when people ask me about the specifics of End Times prophecy. I've alluded to it in earlier writings, but these verses tell me that if I don't understand something, I'm either not in the time period referenced, or I'm not the one to understand its meaning. For example, if I tell you that the phrase "time, times and half a time" used in Daniel 12:7 is commonly defined as representing 3.5 years (time=one year, which means times means two years and half a time is half a year, ergo 3.5  years. Don't believe me? Look at the footnote at the bottom of p1199), does it really matter? God's will will be done, and it will be done when he decides to end this age. Don't lose sleep over events and imagery you don't  understand--perhaps it wasn't for you to know.

As for me, I take great solace in these words. A very dangerous sentiment is that somehow we humans can effect (I spent five minutes debating myself on whether to use "effect" or "affect," since I believe both are appropriate. I went with "effect" as a verb, and I'm sure you found this discursion enlightening) the timing of Christ's return. I don't question their intentions, but to me, any attempt to "hasten Christ's return" through evangelism events turns Christ's exhortation to us to go and make disciples into just another item on a checklist to be accomplished, as opposed to the most important thing he told all of us to do with our lives. I don't know when Christ will return, which I hold in common with EVERY OTHER PERSON WHO EVER HAS OR WILL LIVE. We have been told to be prepared at all times for Christ's return. We were NOT told to keep an eye on the signs and get ready when it looks like the time is nigh. These verses tell me I might not even know it when it happens.

I'll discuss the End Times at length on Sunday, and will then let it go except for a brief comments on October 31st. The fact I find them interesting doesn't mean I spend time pondering them or wondering if we're in them, because it's all completely out of my hands. I can't do anything about them--they will occur when they occur, and if all I can do is prepare myself and as many people as I can for them, well, isn't that fulfilling the Great Commission? Concentrate on those things we can do, and leave the parts we can't into God's more-than-capable hands.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment