Friday, June 10, 2011

Raison d'Etre

Sorry I haven't posted in the past couple of days, it just seemed kind of...meaningless...(two, three, four)

When I was planning my presentation for Sunday, it was my intention to discuss Ecclesiastes for the whole time, but it quickly became apparent that I can cover it in 10 minutes max. Having studied the book once in one of Jerome Nathan's classes, I know what you were all saying, and even one person specifically mentioned it to me. Solomon, the richest man in the world, the wisest man in the world, 700 wives, 300 concubines, etc., and it was all MEANINGLESS??? I mean, seriously, what the heck?!?!

I waited until today specifically so that we would all read 12:13, which tells us all we need to know:

Now all has been heard;
   here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
   for this is the whole duty of man.
 

Everyone wants SOMETHING in this world--wealth, power, status, love, whatever, and I won't condemn any of that IF these activities are subordinate to what Solomon says is our duty in life--to fear God and keep his commandments. God won't be impressed with anything we do, our salvation isn't dependent in any way in what we do or accomplish in this life, and all Solomon is telling us is to place the proper perspective on life on earth.

So in the end, Ecclesiastes isn't meaningless, it just took 12 chapters to reach a very simple conclusion. It's still a beautiful book that helps focus us on what is truly and eternally important versus what is transient and, well, meaningless. 
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment