Monday, March 28, 2011

From Abraham to Joshua

, Not much in today's reading spoke to me--refer to the map I posted yesterday for an idea of the geography involved. Instead, I made a statement the last time I presented that I knew was incorrect as I said it, and it's been bugging me ever since. Since I read ahead a bit, below is a timeline from Abraham to Joshua:
Just as a reminder, the blue bar shows when a person was born, which tells us that Joshua died around 800 years after the birth of Abraham. What really moved me to show this was that at the beginning of today's reading, God tells Joshua his time  is up. We've spent two days with him, and he's (almost) gone.

It's a different time in the Bible now. We're not going to spend significant time with these people, so we need to learn who they are and remember, because it won't be repeated over time like it had been. The time of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was the Age of the Patriarchs, Moses and Joshua defined the establishment of Israel, and we'll have a brief interregnum until the Age of the Kings. Enjoy.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment