Sunday, March 20, 2011

Firstfruits

As I wrote on today's handout, I now proudly claim 6 dedicated readers of the blog, and you faithful may have noticed I haven't written as much in the past week. As I mentioned this morning, Deuteronomy is a book of repetition, and I had nothing new to add. However, a verse in today's reading caught my eye, and I realized I hadn't commented on this before, and it is a favorite story of mine.

In Deuteronomy 26:1-11, we're reminded of how the Israelites are to give firstfruits, which was first described in Exodus and Leviticus. It's a simple and powerful image that reminds us to give to the Lord not when we have leftovers or have taken care of ourselves, but instead as soon as we receive something of value. We're to give to the Lord FIRST, not last, and that's something we should all remind ourselves daily.

In a conversation with John Bremer some time back, he told me that in his previous call, a school in rural central Illinois, farmers would harvest their crop, take it to the co-ops and proceed directly to the school and church to give their firstfruit offerings. He described a line of combines heading down the county roads to deliver their crops and then donate from the top of their earnings. Like I said, it's simple and easy to understand, but the message is still vitally important today. 

Nobody likes to talk about giving in the modern church. The common refrain is that "The church just wants my money." Well, that IS true--I (speaking for the church) absolutely DO want your money, and more of it as opposed to less. What we in the church could improve upon is stating where that money goes--in our case, 80-85% of it goes to pay our pastors, teachers and staff, or in other words, goes directly into spreading the gospel. We give 10% off the top, our own firstfruits, to Iowa District East, the Synod and other entities, so I can safely state that 90-95% of all money received in Trinity goes directly into ministry efforts, and all other Lutheran churches are similar. Everybody wants our money, and there is no shortage of worthy causes and dire needs. When we give generously and FIRST to the Lord, those needs will be met--including ours.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment