Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ezekiel

You probably won't remember, but about two months ago I mentioned that I would skip Ezekiel because I wouldn't have anything to say about it. As I read Ezekiel, however, at least in this beginning part, is shockingly easy to understand and fairly depressing, and I have little to add to it.

I will discuss Ezekiel a bit on Sunday, but his job is different from any of the previous prophets. Every other one practically shouted at the top of their lungs "REPENT" and described what would happen to Israel if they didn't. With Ezekiel, that time is past--Babylon was poised to take over Judah, and utter and complete destruction was at hand. The temple would be defiled and destroyed, and Ezekiel's message was simple. He was the equivalent of a tornado warning horn, essentially telling the people to run for their lives.

As we move through Ezekiel, he will introduce an element of redemption and restoration, but we're not at that point yet. This is the culmination of every prophecy up to Ezekiel's time. The time for repentance had passed, and the time for punishment was upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment