Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Did I Just Read?

To answer my own question, I don't know what I just read--more people killed, tiny armies defeating much larger armies, people with strange names having a ridiculous number of children. No wonder we seem to skip this part of the Bible in our lectern readings.

Whenever I'm at a loss on what to write, it's always a good time to put in a picture of a dog, like this:
Feast your eyes on this. This is my neighbor's daughter's dog Morgan, whom we're watching for the next week. You take a good look at that face, and there's no way that the word UGLY doesn't enter your mind. If anything, this picture doesn't do her justice, since she's even uglier that the picture can show. She's a French Bulldog, and if you saw her body (really thick around the ribs, skinny legs), it doesn't add to the allure.

But she's a powerful dog. How so, you ask? Well, she has the power to make both my daughters come home from college JUST TO SEE HER. That's right--they're coming from Milwaukee and Chicago FOR A DOG. Mom and Dad, eh, whatever, they pay the bills, but MORGAN, man, don't stand between them and the dog when they get home, or you'll be collateral damage.

My point, you ask (I was starting to get curious myself)? Look at the people of Israel in our reading--the same old falling away and coming back to the Lord, and the Lord using not the most powerful men in Israel to save them, but in many ways possibly the LEAST powerful. The Lord wanted to make it clear that HE would deliver them, and he did. Is Morgan that cutest dog in the world? She's got nothing on our dog, but she's roped in my daughters. Our ways are nothing compared to the Lord's, and in the end, his will WILL be done. To me, Morgan's just an ugly dog--a nice one, but still ugly. Lucky for her, what I think doesn't matter, just as what we think of God's ways don't matter.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment