Friday, December 16, 2011

Contentment

It's not unusual to see references to Philippians 4:11-12:

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

We have a tendency to think of these verses when things aren't going as well for us (or someone else) as they could and use them as encouragement. None of us like to be challenged or in need, but those times in our life are going to happen. Invariably (and inexplicably, I might add), I rarely see the proper conclusion to this point, which is 4:13:

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. 

Seriously, I been in Bible studies on more than one occasion that referenced verses 11-12 and skipped 13, and every time this happens, I make sure to make the point I'm about to make now--it's quite difficult to understand just how Paul overcame his obstacles without reading verse 13, where God is given the credit. As always, Paul is clear and unwavering in his description--Paul doesn't state that we can do "some things" or "a few things," but that we can do "EVERYTHING" through God. Yet another of my favorite verses, but this one makes the top 5 list easily (I might endeavor to compile that list, I might not, but it could be interesting).

Philippians is easily one of the most upbeat books in the Bible. If read in the proper spirit, we can't help but be uplifted and encouraged, content in the knowledge that when we need God, particularly when we need him the most, he will come through for us. We may not  recognize the help when it happens, it might not be in the manner that we expect or even what we want, but we should be content, and in the end, what more should we ask for?
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment