Friday, December 2, 2011

Cheerful Giving

David chose 2 Corinthians 9:6 to write about, I'll use 9:7:

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 

By a mile, when pressed for any kind of stewardship verse, this is my go-to, because it clearly tells us what and how to give back to the Lord. I see three distinct points that God, through Paul, is telling us about our giving.

First, the Old Testament laws about tithing have been removed. Since tithing, as well as the rest of the law, was as much about obedience and observance as anything else, the Age of Grace made the mechanistic giving obsolete. Each man was to determine on his own what to give--he could give less than 10%, he could give MORE, and it wouldn't matter either way. Harken back to Cain and Abel in Genesis 4:3-7. God wasn't disappointed with Cain because of what he gave, but because he didn't give the best that he had to offer. Similarly, Ananais and Sapphira weren't punished in Acts 5 because they didn't give enough, but because they didn't follow through with what they had promised. Whatever we give to the Lord, if it's the best we can offer, it's sufficient--the amount is completely irrelevant.

Second, obligatory giving, like the sacrifices, were no longer necessary. As such, giving in a rote fashion and doing so because one feels forced isn't the spirit in which God  wants us to give. It's probably better if we keep our money if that's the best attitude we can manage. In addition, if we're under no compulsion to give, we should never give grudgingly or reluctantly, because we're not required to do so in the first place.

The last point should be the easiest. In my neighborhood, I made a promise ages ago to buy from every kid that comes to the door, as long as they're selling food. I won't buy wrapping paper, wreaths or stuff like that, but there's not a food catalog where I can't find something. I used to do it for quid pro quo reasons when my daughters were younger, but I still maintain it. I'm happy to help the causes, there's a pretty good chance I know the kid anyway, and it makes me feel good. I also instituted a new rule about five years ago to put a dollar into every Salvation Army bucket I walk past in the Christmas season, but it  has to be manned. I know  the money goes to a good cause, and it makes me happy. Giving should ALWAYS make us feel happy, and Christian giving should make us even more happy, since we understand that we're only giving back to the Lord that which he gave us in the first place.

I've done my share of fundraising in the past for numerous causes where strings would be attached. Almost all of these intentions were good, and I never doubted the intentions of the giver, but if it goes to the Lord's work, should we really attach strings? I've heard one person suggest that this kind of giving isn't really giving (i.e., a surrender of your cash) as much as directing. Having been guilty of directing gifts myself, my only defense would be that this is always for gifts over and above my normal giving. In the end, none of this really matter. Just as the Lord richly and freely gives to us, so should we be just as generous in giving back to him.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment